Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Tony Blair

 Blair: "I will not apologise for removing Saddam Hussein. I will not apologise for the conflict. It was right then, is right now and is essential for the wider security of the region and the world."

Your lonely voice in the woods (me): 'sometimes I think that had this been a Clinton/Blair mission it would today, given all that has occured, be viewed as a huge triumph (with some setbacks) and a huge success.'

The story:

Blair: I won't say sorry
13 October 2004

Tony Blair has refused to apologise for the way he presented the intelligence over Iraq's illegal weapons.

Challenged by Michael Howard, the Prime Minister said he could not bring himself to apologise for misrepresenting the evidence "since I do not accept that I did".

Mr Blair said: "I apologise for any information given in good faith that has subsequently turned out to be wrong."

"What I do not in any way accept is that there was any deception by anyone. I will not apologise for removing Saddam Hussein. I will not apologise for the conflict. It was right then, is right now and is essential for the wider security of the region and the world."

Mr Blair said he still believed it was right to go to war and that the conflict was "essential" for regional and global security.

Mr Howard pressed Mr Blair to say sorry for telling the country that the intelligence showed that Saddam continued to produce chemical and biological weapons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home